Tuesday 26 August 2014

Purslane Salad with Mozzarella and Plums

Where have I been? Living under a rock apparently because I have never had purslane before!!


I had never had nor come across purslane but was intrigued when I saw it at the local farmers market in Borough Hall. Not only is it delicious and crunchy but it is packed full of nutrients like vitamin E and essential omega 3 fatty acid. Apparently it grows everywhere and under many conditions. A very hardy plant. I think I might try to grow it next year in my garden. If you can't find purslane, you can easily substitute watercress or spinach.

This salad was so yummy that we had to have it twice in two days. And the only reason we didn't have it again was because the farmers market didn't have the purslane when I went back a couple of days later.

I knew that I definitely wanted to make a salad and knew exactly what I was going to put in it. My next stop was the market down the street where I bought fresh mozzarella. The combination of the crunchy purslane, the creamy mozzarella, sweet plums and salty French, oily olives made this salad one of the best ones I've made so far (I don't mean to toot my own horn...but I just did)!! lol

There aren't any amounts here. Just use however much you want in your salad. Customize it to your liking. You want more greens, use more greens, want less cheese, use less mozzarella. The point is to make it yours.


Purslane Salad with Mozzarella and Plums

Purslane or watercress or spinach
Fresh mozzarella
Plums
Black, oily, wrinkly olives
Olive oil
Red or white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

I like to dress the greens first with vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and then place the other ingredients on top. Drizzle with a little olive oil.

m xo

No comments :

Post a Comment